"This is a terrible way to fight"

rdclark@aol.com (RDClark) wrote:
>Your points and requests seem reasonable, but aren't you going a bit over
>the top with this? I mean, if it's impossible (without exaggeration) to
>aim, nobody would be able to win any missions and succeed in the game.

First of all based on your post I already know you are just using the joystick to control ONLY THE Y-AXIS am I right? Meaning you probably use the keyboard for Torso twisting. I know this because if you've tried aiming with the with a joystick while you struggled to fight BOTH THE X & Y AXIS auto-cntring you would know it is impossible to achieve any kind of precise aiming.

I suggest you borrow a F-16FLCS and set it to Joystick Torso control. (which means the joystick controls both the x and x axis with pedals to control the mechs legs -JUST LKE VWE) Try to hit a mech's legs at a distance or even close up (while both you and the enemy mech are moving -since this is mostly likely what is happenening most of the time unless you like to play flat footed) it IS impossible! NO EXAGGERATION. Try it before you tell me I'm exaggerating.

If they had play tested this configuration they would have offered a non-centering option because they would have known it renders the game unplayable in this configuration.

Try targeting a mechs legs in EARTHSEIGE which has non-autocentering -it controls like a dream. What you end up having to do in MWII is sweep the target hoping to fire when your crosshairs pass over the target -this is a terrible way to fight. Do you think if mechs really existed they would design them so you would have to sweep the target instead of giving it pinpoint STEADY aim? Don't think so.

>Yet
>many have. I've completed the Wolf Clan missions and am nearly through the
>JF series, playing alternately with keyboard/mouse or keyboard/dual
>sticks

I wonder why you have to use a mouse at times? If you've played EarthSiege you wouldn't ever have to touch the mouse. Just the fact that you alternate playing with the mouse says something about the joystick control.

>, and I'm not having any trouble aiming my weapons -- even on a
>DX2/66 with a sub-optimal framerate. It just takes some practice, which is
>worth the effort to enjoy this excellent game.

Once again I know you have the joystick set to control the y-axis with the left & right movements of the stick controlling the chassis (not torso twists) Try setting the joystick for torso twists & suprise, you now have auto- centering on BOTH axes..._impossible_ isn't it? This isn't a flame, just a little irritated because you haven't tried the configuration I'm talking about before accusing me of exaggerating.

BTW this is how it is set up in the VWE BattleTech sims: the stick controls the turret & torso twists while the pedals control the chassis (it makes more sense doesn't it?) It doesn't have auto- centering and it controls great. Why Activision chose to ignore what should have been the obvious model for control is a mystery to me (afterall I would think a majority of the people who will buy MWII are those who play BattleTech @ VWE as well).

Once again, try this configuration out and you will know that it IS IMPOSSIBLE (no exaggeration.) You'll end up firing a LOT of stray shots (forget about even arming yourself with Auto-Cannons) and targeting legs at a distance isn't even an option. _Try it_ then come back and tell me it's playable. If you are honest, you will have to admit that in this configuration, it IS _impossible_.

B Masc - The Masc

(ref: masc6)