"This is exactly why most people prefer the mouse controls - because the joystick control is terrible" willday@rom.oit.gatech.edu (Will Day) wrote:
>I have to say I agree 100% with absolutely everything you said, and
>I've posted at least one of the other posts you note complaining about
>the issue.  I love the game, but am continually frustrated with the
>joystick-torso auto-centering.

Yes the control is sometimes too frustrating to enjoy the game!

>Besides EarthSiege which does it correctly, just think about the
>chassis control.  The mech turns as you turn the joystick, but it
>doesn't revert back to you original heading when you release the
>stick.  Imagine if it _did_!  If any programmers at Activision doubt
>our frustration with the torso-centering, let them imagine how
>difficult it would be to pilot with an auto-centering chassis.
>_That's_ about how I feel.

I know anyone who has actually played BattleTech at the Virtual World parks would feel _exactly_ the same. Makes me wonder who their play testers were -People who have never played BattleTech in their life?

>I sincerely hope Activision hears our pleas and provides a fix..

I received a letter from Tim saying that people were "requesting" the auto-center during play testing. I'm not calling him a liar but if they had used Virtual World (AKA BattleTech Center) play testers (people who actually PLAY BattleTech), they would have known that auto-centering is impossible to aim with on a joystick. Why FORCE this auto-center on joystick users (a lot of us) when there is already a key to center the torso on the keyboard?

I think the reason I haven't seen more than the five or six complaints about the joystick controls is because people think that that is how it's supposed to be (or they are probably too busy struggling with the aim to realize that it re-centers itself everytime the joystick is released.) I myself played it a couple times saying "what is the heck is wrong with the controls? Why is it so hard to aim?" Before I realized that it was because of the joystick auto-centering itself. THIS IS EXACTLY WHY MOST PEOPLE PREFER THE MOUSE CONTROLS -BECAUSE THE JOYSTICK CONTROL IS TERRIBLE.

I hope more people realize that this is the reason they are struggling to aim with the joystick and then complain to Activision, so MechWarrior II can be the game it was supposed to be, and comes so close to being: The ultimate mech simulator, as it is I find myself cursing the controls too much to enjoy the game.

B Masc - The Masc

(ref: masc4)